Lighting on Location with Off-Camera Flash
A Hands-On Workshop!
Sunday, May 7, 2023 | 12:30 – 8:30
Natural light is nice… But natural light combined with flash is even better!
Photographing portraits at sunset can yield beautiful results! But there’s a problem. Maybe you've been there. You had a beautiful sky before you, and your clients were excited to get great pictures with it!
But… without properly using flash you are doomed to either blow out the sky in order to see your subject, or capture the sky but create mere silhouettes of your subjects against that bright, beautiful sunset. You could use direct flash from your camera -- but you know there's a much better way… Off-camera flash to the rescue!
By attending this Photo Festival you will gain the knowledge and first-hand experience to use flash to create stunning portraits at sunset, with tips and tricks that are applicable for photographing at any time of day – even indoors.
You'll also learn:
● The different lighting phases of photographing at sunset
● How to correctly set your exposure and flash power to get the look you want
● What types of equipment you need
● Bonus: Tips and tricks for photographing AFTER sunset
The following equipment is recommended, but not required. You do not need to have your own off-camera flash equipment to attend. You can try different types of equipment (it's a perfect chance to become more informed before you invest in location lighting).
Please bring any and all of the following:
● Your DSLR camera
● 1-2 light stands + cold shoes/Speedlight holders
● Any combination of off-camera flash (a strobe & trigger OR 2+ Speedlight's)
● Flash modifiers such as grids or softbox (We'll explore MagMod grids, spheres, and gels)
This Photo Festival will provide both an indoor "classroom" portion at Chris Keeley Photography in Dover, NH and a hands-on location shoot going into sunset.